This preparation makes 4 servings.
- 1 pound fresh okra
- Vegetable oil, enough for deep frying 1 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ½ small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 sheet (about 2 ounces) of dried mango slice, cut into thin strips Salt to taste
Rinse the okra and pat dry thoroughly with a kitchen towel. Trim the tops and cut lengthwise into thin strips
In a large, deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil to 350° F. Working in batches, fry the okra strips for about 4 minutes, stirring a few times until golden and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried okra to a large paper-towel-lined plate to drain excess oil. Sprinkle it with some salt, dried mango powder and red chilli flakes.
In a large bowl, gently toss the fried okra with the red onion, cilantro and lemon juice. Season the salad with more of the spice mixture and Salt, and serve immediately, garnished with dried mango strips.